Hybrid set-up - we have WeWork memberships for those who want a space together, otherwise we are fully remote (UK based applicants only)
Elsewhen is a London based consultancy designing digital products & services for the likes of Spotify, Inmarsat and Zego. Over the past 11 years, Elsewhen has created a working environment that is impactful, driven, open and friendly. We value outcomes over hours and agility over rigid processes.
We know that diversity of thought, background, and perspective make for better teams and better products. Regardless of culture, appearance, or perspective, everyone is welcome in our teams and workplaces. We are a company where people are empowered to challenge convention, grow their ideas and make the best work of their lives.
We’re looking for a Backend Engineer to join our engineering team. In this role, you will have collective ownership together with an outstanding team to ensure an excellent customer experience throughout the different projects.
Join the team — https://www.elsewhen.com.
Things you will be doing:
- Collaborate closely with the Principal for Engineering, as well as your fellow engineers, the product managers and the designers, becoming a valued member of an autonomous, cross-functional team
- Help us to stay on top of industry changes across technology and infrastructure
- Support our team with monitor, test and continuously optimise your solutions
- Work in an environment that supports your individual growth
- Attend client meetings where you may be expected to explain your solutions to non-technical audiences
- Design and implement APIs, infrastructure and backend solutions using industry best practices
- Be an active member of our company’s small tech community
- Good understanding of the Python standard library and modern Python coding, testing, debugging and automation techniques
- Familiarity with popular Python web frameworks such as Flask or FastAPI
- Applying software engineering best practises to produce understandable, flexible, and maintainable code
- Experience with Cloud Technologies such as GCP, AWS, Azure, Docker, Kubernetes etc. (We use GCP)
- In-depth knowledge and experience of data storage and querying with several database solutions such as Elasticsearch, Snowflake, Big Query, PostgreSQL
- Eager to familiarise yourself with new technologies as needed
- Knowledge of CI/CD integrations and DevOps
- Care deeply about the user experience and building high-quality software
- Someone who’s not afraid of contributing to areas outside of your expertise
- You care about web technologies and exploring data
- Experienced in working alongside front-end devs and UX engineers
- A Degree in a related field or 4+ years of relevant work experience
Nice to have:
- A degree in Computer Science or STEM equivalent
- Experience in working with agile/lean methodologies
Why join Elsewhen:
- We’re a flexible-first company. Work face-to-face or from home, whatever suits you best. Either way, we’ll bring people together socially to meet each other and build deeper relationships.
- Opportunity to create work that has impact and is measurable.
- Autonomy - teams are empowered to make decisions regarding the tools and technologies they use.
- End-to-end nature of projects - cross paths with other skill sets and career shapes
- An annual budget for training and up-skilling, including dedicated days so you don’t have to study in your own free time.
- We use Progression to accelerate your development through our well-defined and measurable skills framework.
- 27 days of holiday, plus bank holidays
- Flexible working - choose how and where you work
- Private health insurance (We value health)
- Comprehensive physical and mental health cover
- Gym membership contribution
- Perks (Amazon Prime, Cinema, Ocado)
- L&D budget
- Free breakfast once a month
- Monthly and quarterly team social events
- Annual team trip
- £500 Feel Better Fund
- Bonus scheme
- 6 weeks paternity & 16 weeks maternity leave
- 6% employer pension contribution
Where to from here?
We welcome those with alternative identities, backgrounds, and experiences.
We know that diverse teams are strong teams, and welcome those with alternative identities, backgrounds, and experiences to apply to Elsewhen.
We are committed to a fair and accessible recruitment process for all candidates. We would be happy to meet any accommodation requests during the application or interview process, please just let us know.